Bucking a trend that had plagued them throughout the regular season, the Archers got off to a fast start en route to a 2-1 victory over MCC-Maple Woods in the Region XVI semifinal.
Kate Wing scored each of the Archers’ two first-half goals, with sophomore forward Emily Fox receiving credit for the assist on each. It was the first time the Archers notched multiple goals in the first half of a game since August 23, when they scored six in the first half of an 8-0 rout over Neosho County in the team’s second game of the season. It also marked the first time the team scored multiple goals in a game since a 4-0 win over Lincoln College on September 17.
With the win, the Archers improved to 5-10-2 overall, and earned a spot in the region title game tomorrow against St. Charles Community College at 2 pm at the Anheuser-Busch Soccer Park in Fenton. The Archers lost 2-1 to St. Charles in their only previous meeting, on September 1. A win tomorrow would give STLCC a return to the District playoffs after a one-year hiatus.
The win was the second of the year for the Archers over Maple Woods. STLCC also defeated them 1-0 on October 10.
Mike Duffy’s Bar and Grill Play of the Game
Kate Wing’s second goal of the game, scored in the 29th minute, is our Duffy’s play of the game. The goal gave the Archers needed insurance, and became the match’s winning margin after Maple Woods responded in the 61st minute.
All Region XVI Team
Following Saturday’s game, the All-Region team was announced. Three STLCC players—defender Tessa Killingsworth, forward Emily Fox, and defender Brigid McInerney—were named to the region’s first team, with Killingsworth nominated for an All-American nod, along with Alexa Riley and Kyleigh Kristensen of St. Charles Community College.
All-Region XVI First Team
- Alexa Riley Midfielder St. Charles Community College
- Kyleigh Kristensen Forward St. Charles Community College
- Tessa Killingsworth Defender St. Louis Community College
- Cali Fournier Forward MCC-Blue River
- Beth Mellor Midfielder MCC-Maple Woods
- Emily Fox Midfielder St. Louis Community College
- Mary McGilvray Goalkeeper St. Charles Community College
- Sara Simpson Defender MCC-Blue River
- Allie Simpson Forward MCC-Maple Woods
- Lacee Wesloh Defender St. Charles Community College
- Brigid McInerney Defender St. Louis Community College
All-Region XVI Second Team
- Amber Tran Forward MCC-Blue River
- Mackenzie McGlynn Forward MCC-Blue River
- Morgan Dugger Defender St. Charles Community College
- Stevee Naudet (naw-det) Defender MCC-Maple Woods
- Kayla Collie Forward St. Charles Community College
- Yimia Ortiz Defender MCC-Maple Woods